Table of Contents
“Steam cuts down on cluttered retailer art work with new guidelines for recreation builders”
Valve needs Steam graphical belongings to be extra ‘easy’ for purchasers
It’s a continuing battle for recreation builders to face out on Steam, and flashy art work has been an enormous method to try to draw gamers in lengthy sufficient to click on via to a recreation’s retailer web page. I’m certain you’ve observed the busy banners. Issues have escalated to some extent that Valve isn’t comfy with, and the corporate has solidified its pointers — and introduced new guidelines that’ll go into impact in September — concerning art work on Steam.
As defined in a Steamworks Improvement put up, Valve needs to “make it as clear and simple as potential for purchasers to search out video games to purchase and play on Steam.”
“Just lately, we’ve observed extra textual content, award logos, and even overview scores being included by recreation builders of their graphical asset photographs,” Valve stated. “This made us understand our pointers haven’t been as clear as they need to be. On account of not having clearly-defined guidelines, we’ve seen additions to graphical belongings which can be making a complicated and typically even inaccurate expertise for purchasers.”
Guitar Billionaire, Custard Fort Small Claims Courtroom, and the opposite mock video games within the image up prime get to the center of it. Steam needs builders to maneuver away from together with overview scores, awards, and low cost textual content of their retailer graphical belongings (“capsules”).
Valve additionally shared some examples of the difficulty: “some recreation logos themselves have grow to be so small that it’s onerous for gamers to inform what the secret is. In different circumstances, graphical asset photographs are so cluttered with award logos and scores that it’s distracting and onerous to learn. Some capsules embody overview scores which can be not correct. We additionally see that typically this extra textual content on belongings is offered in English language solely, isolating a lot of the Steam viewers that doesn’t communicate English.”
This week’s Steamworks Improvement article has the complete breakdown, however at a look:
New Steam retailer graphical asset guidelines
- Content material on base graphical asset capsules on Steam is proscribed to recreation art work, the sport title, and any official subtitle. For readability, this implies:
- No overview scores of any type, together with Steam evaluations or exterior information sources
- No award titles, symbols, or logos
- No low cost advertising and marketing copy (eg. no “On Sale Now” or “As much as 90% off” textual content)
- No textual content or imagery selling a unique product. This consists of no advertising and marketing of sequels or different titles in the identical franchise.
- No different miscellaneous textual content.
- We perceive that companions are excited to speak about giant updates and seasonal occasions, and prospects are sometimes excited to see these mirrored within the recreation capsules. Whereas this content material just isn’t allowed in base capsule belongings (see rule #1 above), we do help this use case via Capsule Art work Overrides with the next constraints:
- Should use Art work Overrides — When together with textual content on a graphical asset, this MUST be uploaded as an Art work Override with a size restrict of 1 month.
- Should localize any textual content — Any textual content included on a graphical asset MUST be localized into at the least the identical set of languages supported by the sport.
- Solely to explain new content material — The one acceptable extra textual content on a recreation capsule is phrases describing a significant replace to the sport content material, a brand new seasonal occasion, battle move, DLC, or related new content material for the sport.
These new Steam retailer art work guidelines will go into impact on September 1, 2022.