Planning for 2023: Twitter Posting Ideas
Over the primary few weeks of the yr, we’re publishing a sequence of ideas and notes on find out how to maximize your efforts, together with tips about new instruments like ChatGPT and DALL-E, and the way these evolving apps can help in your content material planning course of.
We’ve already lined the next parts:
- Defining your model and content material mission
- Researching key phrases and queries amongst your goal market
- Analyzing your rivals and their approaches
- Discovering the place to succeed in your viewers
The subsequent step is platform-specific ideas, and the way you should utilize every app to finest impact.
We’ve already lined Fb posting ideas, now we transfer on to the following app – Twitter.
Which, in fact, has been going via a large inside shift of late. Listed here are some tips about how you should utilize Twitter to finest impact in 2023.
First off, some notes on Twitter’s most up-to-date adjustments, and their potential impacts – as a result of whether or not you want Elon Musk or not, whether or not you imagine in his route for Twitter or don’t, as a model, he has added some new concerns on your Twitter technique, which it is advisable issue into your strategy.
- Twitter hasn’t formally modified its guidelines round what’s and isn’t acceptable to put up on the app. However it has eliminated its COVID misinformation coverage, a subject that Musk has sturdy opinions on, whereas Musk has additionally overseen the reinstatement of tens of 1000’s of accounts that had beforehand been banned from the app for sharing dangerous content material, as measured by the earlier regime. Some reviews have additionally indicated that these accounts have gone proper again to sharing the identical dangerous content material, they usually’re not being banned – so whereas Twitter hasn’t modified its guidelines, it’s decoding them otherwise, which could possibly be seen as a danger for model placement and unintended affiliation.
- Twitter has minimize 1000’s of employees, which has to have some affect on its capability to cope with points, and even stay in operational capability at occasions. There are indicators of degradation and elevated error charges, and that might additionally relate to advert placement, efficiency, points decision, and so on. Twitter has additionally, extra not too long ago, minimize lots of its worldwide employees, and shut down native workplaces, which can affect native information and connection to regional markets. Twitter continues to be up and working proper now, and the exterior impacts have been comparatively restricted. However it’s one other consideration for manufacturers trying to put extra effort and time into the app.
- Twitter might, at some stage, restrict the attain of name that don’t pay to subscribe to its coming ‘Verification for Organizations’ bundle. Like its $8 verification Twitter Blue plan, Twitter’s additionally trying to cost manufacturers for their very own gold verification tick, together with different advantages. There’s not rather a lot to go on at this stage, however Twitter has already flagged that Blue subscribers will finally be given precedence placement in reply chains. That would additionally imply that manufacturers will get the identical profit, as a method to push extra companies to pay to make use of the app. Relying on the associated fee (which Twitter additionally hasn’t shared but), manufacturers might want to weigh the advantages of this upcoming push.
Once more, none of those are definitive deal-breakers, as such, however they’re parts for manufacturers to issue into their consideration.
The way you view every will come all the way down to your private perspective.
One of many key adjustments on Twitter over the previous few years has been the de-prioritization of hashtags, a minimum of as really helpful by Twitter’s personal staff.
Twitter has, in some circumstances, been advising manufacturers in opposition to the usage of hashtags, as it could possibly distract out of your focus objective – i.e. getting individuals to click on in your hyperlinks.
This, for instance, comes from Twitter, in relation to tweet adverts:
“Every time attainable, maintain your advert freed from #hashtags and @mentions. We all know that it’s tempting, however they’re distracting, clickable alternatives that drive individuals off your advert and away out of your content material. Present just one exit level, whether or not that’s clicking via to your web site or your app, to maintain your message laser-focused.”
That’s not definitive, however it’s a consideration – however if you wish to embody tags, I’d counsel that you simply analysis probably the most related and targeted tags on your area of interest.
Apps like Hashtagify will help on this respect, offering perception on hashtag recognition and utilization. Additionally, when utilizing hashtags, it is best to use camel-case capital letters for readability (e.g. #WednesdayWisdom). This additionally ensures that display screen readers can higher talk the related tags for vision-impaired customers.
Hashtags have historically had extra energy on Twitter, as a result of Twitter’s algorithm is much less subtle, and influential, than, say, the Information Feed algorithm on Fb. Twitter’s usually been capable of lean on customers to be extra overt of their viewers focusing on via hashtags – although Twitter is now trying to evolve, most notably by inserting increasingly tweets from profiles that you simply don’t comply with into the primary feed.
Twitter additionally not too long ago added in a ‘Following’ feed that’s only a side-swipe away, so you will get away from these suggestions in order for you. However over time, Twitter’s hoping that it’ll have the ability to refine its algorithms to the purpose that individuals will discover these inserted tweets helpful, resulting in broader discovery and engagement.
Which might assist to generate extra publicity on your model content material, by highlighting your tweets to extra customers. It’s not there but, nevertheless it could possibly be a component to notice, and to maintain tabs on precisely which tweets Twitter’s trying to insert into consumer feeds.
By way of your tweet content material, Twitter advises that manufacturers ought to adhere to a ‘three C’s’ strategy for optimum tweeting:
What does concise imply in tweet phrases, the place you’ve solely acquired 280 characters to work with anyway?
As per Twitter:
“The very best performing Tweets are solely 50-100 characters”
Brevity has at all times been the central tenet of tweet engagement – which is why many customers are against longer tweets, that are additionally in improvement.
And as you’ll be able to see, the perfect performers are considerably shorter than the max tweet size, whereas prompting dialogue – the ‘conversational’ aspect listed above, can be key to sparking engagement, and constructing group round your presence.
It’s not at all times straightforward, however the perfect tweets are quick, to the purpose, and interesting.
One instrument that could possibly be of profit right here is ChatGPT, which is ready to provide you with tweets primarily based on both textual content or request prompts.
For instance, you’ll be able to enter in all or a part of a weblog put up, then ask ChatGPT to summarize it right into a tweet.
You may also enter in tweets which have finished properly, perhaps out of your rivals or primarily based on common Twitter search, and ask ChatGPT to offer you related concepts primarily based on these templates.
For instance, you should utilize Twitter’s superior search instruments to uncover the top-performing tweets utilizing your goal key phrases, and checklist them primarily based on engagement (likes, feedback, retweets). Getting into ‘basketball footwear min_faves:100’ into Twitter search, for instance, will present you all of the tweets that point out ‘basketball footwear’ and have a minimum of 100 likes.
That’ll offer you some thought of the highest tweet conversations in your product/service section. Put the perfect examples into an inventory, feed them into ChatGPT, and see what comes out.
That could possibly be a great way to spark extra engagement, and align with the related Twitter group.
By way of content material codecs, tweets with video see probably the most engagement, adopted by tweets with GIFs, photographs, then plain textual content.
Twitter Areas may also present a special strategy to group engagement, and will work as an alternative choice to, say, Twitter chats, which facilitate broader dialogue.
On finest occasions to put up, in line with evaluation performed by Sprout Social final yr, the perfect occasions to tweet to succeed in the broadest viewers, generally, are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at 9 am, in your native time zone.
As you’ll be able to see, in line with Sprout’s insights, that morning block between 9am and 12pm is when persons are extra actively consuming tweets, which might assist information your pondering.
With reference to how usually it is best to tweet, the tweet stream strikes quick, so you will get away with posting extra frequently, as you’re unlikely to overwhelm your followers. As soon as per day needs to be the baseline, then constructing from there primarily based by yourself evaluation and viewers response knowledge.
One other consideration on Twitter is its ‘Skilled Accounts’ possibility, which allows manufacturers to transform their Twitter profile to a enterprise account to entry further options.
These options embody:
- Further analytics – Skilled accounts can entry a devoted dashboard of analytics instruments to trace efficiency
- Skilled Class – Professional accounts can signify what their enterprise is on their profile, which might assist to spotlight your corporation to related customers
- Profile Spotlights – Twitter’s additionally added a variety of ‘Highlight’ choices for skilled profiles, which allow you to showcase your merchandise, location, contact data and extra in a devoted profile part. The present Spotlights accessible are: location, buying, cell app hyperlink, CTA hyperlink
- Twitter Buying – Professional accounts may also entry Twitter’s evolving buying options – although exhausting to inform how a lot emphasis Twitter might be placing on buying as a part of its ‘Twitter 2.0’ revamp, a minimum of at this stage
These further parts could possibly be of profit for your corporation, whereas as famous, Twitter’s additionally creating its ‘Verification for Organizations’ subscription aspect, via which, enterprise customers will have the ability to apply for a gold checkmark, and extra options.
A few of these Skilled Account instruments could possibly be constructed into this providing, nevertheless it’s all in flux at current – although it’ll be price preserving tabs on how this evolves, and the way Twitter appears to develop its pitch to enterprise customers.
Look, there’s rather a lot happening at Twitter proper now, and a few individuals might be against manufacturers even contemplating placing extra deal with the app, given the assorted adjustments being applied by Musk and his staff, as detailed above.
However Twitter continues to be a key driver of reports and opinion, and at 238 million each day actives, it stays an essential consideration for model outreach.
Some will view Twitter as getting again heading in the right direction, others will say that it’s falling off. However there could also be alternatives inside that, and it could nonetheless be a terrific platform for connecting with a broader viewers and constructing model consciousness.